STEPS TO HELP DETERMINE THE BEST IMPLANT SIZE
The Picture Test
Look at the before and after breast augmentation photos on Dr. Esmailian’s website. Find a before photo of a patient who has breast characteristics and physical traits that are similar to yours. Although the implant size that you desire cannot actually be determined by viewing photos of someone else, you can find a photo that resembles the look you desire. This gives Dr. Esmailian insight into what you would like him to accomplish with your breast augmentation.
The Rice Test
You can “try on” various breast sizes at home by performing the Rice Test. This process allows you to determine what looks too big and what seems too small for you. Although Dr. Esmailian does have various implant sizers that you can try on in his Orange County office, the Rice Test is a great starting point. In addition, the Rice Test is performed at home, allowing you to take your time and ponder your options.
You will need:
- At least one pair of knee-high nylons
- Dry rice
- Measuring cups (1 cup and 1/4 cup)
- A sports bra (without padding or an underwire)
- Various types of clothing (formal dress, cocktail dress, form-fitting t-shirts,
favorite tops, etc.)
- A mirror that allows you to see your entire figure
How to do the Rice Test:
- Take a pair of knee-high nylons (you should avoid using nylons that offer additional support as well as knee-highs that have a reinforced toe) and fill each nylon with 1 ½ cups of rice.
- Tie a knot on the top of each nylon, approximately 3 inches above the rice.
- Shape the rice-filled nylons into patties. They must be as even as possible in projection and as large as your natural breast circumferential base.
- Put the sports bra on and insert the pre-formed rice patties.
- Try on the different outfits and tops you have gathered.
- If you are not sure about a size, take a photo of yourself. After taking several photos of yourself in various-sized rice patties, you can compare them to one another. Ideally, take each photo wearing the same clothing item. This will make comparing the sizes easier.
- You can add or remove the rice by ¼ cup at a time and then try the clothing on again until you are happy with the way your breasts look.
- Once you determine which sized rice patties you think look the best, bring them with you to your next appointment with Dr. Esmailian at his office in Orange County. He can use these to help determine your implant size. Understand that the “look” of the rice will not resemble your final breast shape, but it does give a good indication of volume.