Drooping eyelids naturally occur as we age. They accumulate excess skin and fat, causing the eyes to appear partially closed or tired. The lower eyelids can also gather fat, appearing as bags under the eyes. In addition to cosmetic issues, drooping upper eyelids can impair vision and contribute to discomfort. Eyelid surgery is an effective technique to remove excess skin and fat, restoring the contours of the eyes to a comfortable, functional, attractive condition.
EYELID SURGERY (BLEPHAROPLASTY) OVERVIEW
Eyelid surgery, also known as blepharoplasty, will eliminate the effects that age and gravity have had upon the eyelids. It is typically done as an outpatient procedure and is designed to handle the following issues:
- Puffy or baggy upper eyelids
- Excessive drooping skin in the upper eyelid
- Droopy lower eyelids, which may sink and not cover as much of the eye as they should
- Bags under the eyes
Eyelid surgery can easily be done in conjunction with other facial rejuvenation procedures. During your initial consultation with Dr. Esmailian, he will cover your options to get the most out of your cosmetic surgery. His intention is to provide the best eyelid surgery Orange County has available, and he does this by listening to your concerns and setting you at ease.
EYELID SURGERY (BLEPHAROPLASTY) PROCEDURE
Eyelid surgery can be performed on either eyelid, respectively. It can also be done on both, if necessary. In the case that your receive eyelid surgery on both eyelids, Dr. Esmailian will begin with the upper lids. He makes the incision along the natural fold of the eyelid, allowing the scar to be completely hidden following surgery. Once the incision is made, he goes to work removing excess skin, as well as muscle and fat beneath the skin. He then closes the incision using very small stitches so the scarring is minimal.
The lower eyelid is next. Dr. Esmailian makes the incision directly below the lashes so the resultant scar is well hidden. Just like the top eyebrows, Dr. Esmailian will proceed by removing excess skin, fat and muscle. Once he is satisfied that the new contours will provide a youthful and toned appearance below the eyes, he closes the incisions.
The incision on the lower lid is made just below the lashes in your eye’s natural crease or inside the lower lid. The surgeon removes or redistributes excess fat, muscle and sagging skin. Depending on where the initial incisions are made, stitches may follow the lower lid’s natural crease or be placed inside the lower eyelid.
For patients with ptosis, otherwise known as a lazy eye, Dr. Esmailian will use another procedure to address that problem.
If you are suffering from overly baggy eyelids, it may be wise to set an appointment with Dr. Esmailian. This condition will not only affect your physical appearance, it will also affect the function of your eyes and vision. Call us today to ask any questions you have or to schedule an initial consultation.
EYELID SURGERY (BLEPHAROPLASTY) IN ORANGE COUNTY WITH DR. ESMAILIAN
Dr. Farbod Esmailian is a double board certified cosmetic surgeon who performs eyelid surgery (Blepharoplasty/Eye Lift) for patients residing in and around Orange County. Following eyelid surgery, Dr. Esmailian’s patients enjoy a more youthful, refreshed appearance.
COMMON REASONS PEOPLE DECIDE TO HAVE EYELID SURGERY WITH DR. ESMAILIAN IN ORANGE COUNTY
Eliminating the bags and puffiness beneath the lower lids and the sagging skin on the upper eyelids makes patients appear healthier and younger.
People in Orange County choose to have Eyelid Surgery with Dr. Esmailian to address:
- Loose skin on the upper eyelids that hangs down over the eyelashes. Once complete, many patients can see better because they no longer have overhanging eyelid skin.
- Deep grooves beneath the eyes.
- Excess skin that hangs down, covering the upper eyelid fold.
- Puffy eyelids that make the eyes appear aged and tired.
A PREOPERATIVE EVALUATION ENSURES PERSONALIZED TREATMENT
Dr. Esmailian performs eyelid surgery on his patients’ lower eyelids, upper eyelids, or both eyelids during the same procedure. He tailors each procedure to meet the needs of the specific patient. He determines how much skin and fat needs to be removed during the patient’s preoperative evaluation. When making this determination, Dr. Esmailian takes several factors into consideration.
These factors include the patient’s:
- Eyebrow symmetry.
- Bone structure.
- Facial muscle structure.
EYELID SURGERY (BLEPHAROPLASTY) IN ORANGE COUNTY – THE SPECIFICS
An blepharoplasty or eyelid surgery usually lasts from one to two hours depending on if the upper or lowers are addressed, or both. The surgery is performed under general anesthesia, where the patient is completely asleep and comfortable during the procedure. Not every patient needs fat removed from the areas. At times the fat is redistributed to obtain the youthful result.
MARKINGS PRIOR TO SURGERY TO ADDRESS ISSUES WITH THE EYELIDS
Directly before performing an eyelid surgery, Dr. Esmailian makes precise markings on the patient’s upper and/or lower eyelids to indicate where he intends to remove the excess tissues from.
UPPER EYELID SURGERY TECHNIQUE
When performing an upper eyelid lift or blepharoplasty, Dr. Esmailian makes the incision within the upper eyelid’s natural fold; thus, ensuring it remains hidden.
LOWER EYELID SURGERY TECHNIQUE
During a lower eyelid surgery, Dr. Esmailian frequently makes the incision just beneath the lower eyelashes; alternatively, if he needs to remove excess fat only, then he performs a transconjunctival incision (inside the lower eyelid). In certain occasions, a transconjunctival incision may be combined with a pinch excision of the skin.
If necessary, to eliminate bulges or puffiness, Dr. Esmailian redistributes the fat in the lower lids. Additionally, he may make adjustments to address other issues, such as muscle laxity.
CLOSING THE INCISIONS
Dr. Esmailian will use permanent sutures (removable) for the upper eyelid closure and absorbable sutures for the lower eyelid incision closure. These incisions generally leave no detectable scar.
EYELID SURGERY RECOVERY IN ORANGE COUNTY
- Immediately following eyelid surgery, small sterile tape is applied to the suture to hold the suture in place.
- Some patients receive an ointment designed to prevent eye dryness as well drops to help with the inflammation.
- Patients should expect some bruising and swelling.
- Keeping the head elevated when lying down, as well as applying cold compresses, assists in the healing process and relieves discomfort.
- Some of Dr. Esmailian’s eyelid surgery patients receive a prescription for pain medication; whereas, others may receive recommendations as to acceptable over-the-counter pain medications.
THE FIRST TWO WEEKS OF RECOVERY IN ORANGE COUNTY
During the first two weeks, the eyes might feel dry, sticky and itchy:
- For the initial 10 days following eyelid surgery, patients need to gently clean the area around the eyes. Dr. Esmailian may recommend eye drops to assist with dry, itchy eyes.
- Patients who receive permanent stitches during their eyelid surgery should expect to return to Dr. Esmailian’s office in Orange County to have them removed sometime within five to seven days after their procedure: Self-absorbing stitches are not removed as they dissolve on their own.
- For several weeks following eyelid surgery, certain environments and activities must be avoided. Patients receive post-surgical instructions detailing these restrictions.
- The eyelids heal extremely fast and due to the placement of the scars they are almost invisible.
INSURANCE AND EYELID SURGERY IN ORANGE COUNTY
In general, patients who choose to have eyelid surgery for cosmetic reasons are responsible for all costs related to the procedure; however, patients who require the surgery to improve or correct their vision, to address an injury to the eye or to correct an eye deformity may be eligible for reimbursement (in part or in whole) from their insurance providers. Patients are encouraged to contact their insurance providers to find out if they have coverage for this procedure.
If you are interested in learning about the various surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures Dr. Farbod Esmailian offers to his patients in and around Orange County, contact his Orange County location today. As a double board certified cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Esmailian has the experience, skills and knowledge to help you attain the look you desire.